MotherWoman Training Institute
2013 Group Facilitator Training
INNOVATIVE APPROACHES TO LEADING SUCCESSFUL GROUPS IN YOUR COMMUNITY
This 21 hour training will enhance your capacity to lead thriving women’s support groups which can serve as a mother’s lifeline to emotional health, community connection and personal success across her lifespan.
The MotherWoman Support Group Model© creates an environment of support and personal empowerment, thus enhancing a mother’s capacity to advocate for herself and her family. At the same time, it provides mothers with a perspective on the context within which mothering takes place and its impact on individual mood and functioning.
IN THIS TRAINING YOU WILL LEARN TO:
- Create safety for women to share their authentic experiences of motherhood
- Master group dynamics
- Explore cultural messages and myths about motherhood
- Lead a culturally competent support group that welcomes diverse mothers
- Encourage each woman’s inherent strength and resilience
- Motivate personal change by enhancing individual women’s self-empowerment
- Motivate social change by linking socio-political factors to maternal experience
ABOUT THE TRAINING:
This training is applicable for seasoned support group facilitators, medical and mental health professionals, doulas, midwives, childbirth educators and peer support leaders, as well as mothers, and community leaders without prior group facilitation experience. This training utilizes both didactic and experiential learning models which support the development of leadership, competence and confidence.
Opportunities for practicum in small and large groups are integrated throughout the training to ensure mastery of the skills necessary to be successful in implementing thriving support groups. Participants are invited to share their personal experience in practicum groups and will leave with a deeper understanding of the power of support groups.
The MotherWoman Support Group Model© is replicable in a variety of settings and with diverse populations. Successful MotherWoman groups currently serve pregnant and postpartum mothers, parents who have experienced pregnancy and infant loss, mothers of color, Spanish-speaking Latina mothers, teen mothers, refugee mothers, mothers recovering from substance abuse, and mothers in rural Guatemala. This model is easily adapted to include program-specific curriculums.
BENEFITS TO YOU INCLUDE:
- Proficiency in using a replicable support group model
- Enhanced group leadership skills
- Effective advocacy for mothers issues along the lifespan
- Professional development and CEUs
Sept 26-28, 2013
Simkin Center for Allied Birth Vocations, Bastyr University, Seattle, WA
MotherWoman Training Institute, Hadley, MA
Partnership for Maternal & Child Health of Northern New Jersey, NJ
Pre-Register for Western Massachusetts MotherWoman Facilitator Training ONLINE.
Group Rate: MotherWoman offers group rates when you host this training in your region.
MotherWoman is committed to offering limited scholarships, based on need, for those working with underserved populations. Please include your eligibility for scholarship when applying to attend.
OTHER OFFERINGS FROM THE MOTHERWOMAN TRAINING INSTITUTE:
- A Comprehensive Understanding of Perinatal Mood Disorders: Spectrum, Assessment and Treatment
- A Comprehensive Understanding of Perinatal Mood Disorders: Training for Mental Health Clinicians
- A Comprehensive Understanding of Perinatal Mood Disorders for Crisis Services
- A Comprehensive Understanding of Perinatal Mood Disorders: Training for Early Intervention Specialists and Home Visitors
- Promoting Perinatal Emotional Health: Best Practices for Universal Screening for Perinatal Depression
- Promoting Maternal and Infant Mental Health: The Community-Based Perinatal Support Model
- Who Will Catch Me? MotherWoman Support Groups the Essential First Line of Defense For All Mothers
We can customize a program to meet your organization or community’s needs.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.